Just about any computer that can connect to and browse the Internet will work for online learning. For the best possible experience, use a PC or MAC computer with the following specifications:
- PC: Window XP or Windows 7 (Starter or Home Editions will work fine), Windows 8.
- MAC: OSX 10.6 or newer.
For either computer you will need:
- Ram: 1 GB (gigabyte) or more
- Hard Drive: 10 GB or more
- Recommended minimum browser and Flash: (Which browsers does Canvas support?)
- Chrome 65 and 66
- Firefox 59 and 60 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Internet Explorer 11 (Windows only—functionally supported; may exhibit slight visual differences from other browsers, but these differences do not restrict product functionality or accessibility)
- Edge 41 and 42 (Windows only)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 10 and 11 (Macintosh only)
- Flash 28 and 29 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. Your browser will notify you if there is a new version available.
- Required Components: Flash, Java plug-in
- Media Player: Windows Media Player 11. If a MAC user, download current version of Flip4Mac
- Soundcard and speakers and / or headphones
- Display: CRT or LCD, 15" or larger; resolution should be 600 X 800 pixels or higher.
- Current version of Adobe Reader
- 2GHz processor
For internet access a "broadband" connection is highly recommended; a "dial-up" connection is really too slow and will quickly frustrate the user.
Broadband is defined as:
- Upload transfer rate of at least 1.0 megabits/second (or higher), and
- Download rate of 2.0 - 4.0 megabits/second (or higher)
Typical DLS, ADSL, and Cable TV Internet connection easily meet these requirements.
Head-set, microphone, and webcam
Some of your courses will require web conferencing or some form of online video interaction.
If you are enrolled in a LIVE classroom, you will be required to have a microphone headset.
We encourage the use of a USB headset with built-in microphone as pictured here.
If your computer does not have a built in webcam, you will need an external webcam to use. We recommend a USB webcam to attach to your computer.
Mobile Operating System Native App Support
As of January 5, 2019, Android apps require version 5.0 or later and iOS apps require version 11 or later. All Android and iOS both support the two most recent versions of their respective operating systems.