Just about any computer that can connect to and browse the Internet will work for online learning. For the best possible experience, use a PC or MAC computer with the following specifications:
- PC: Window XP or Windows 7 (Starter or Home Editions will work fine), Windows 8.
- MAC: OS 8 or higher.
For either computer you will need:
- Ram: 1 GB (gigabyte) or more
- Hard Drive: 10 GB or more
- Recommended minimum browser and Flash: (Which browsers does Canvas support?)
- Chrome 65 and 66
- Firefox 59 and 60 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Internet Explorer 11 (Windows only—functionally supported; may exhibit slight visual differences from other browsers, but these differences do not restrict product functionality or accessibility)
- Edge 41 and 42 (Windows only)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 10 and 11 (Macintosh only)
- Flash 28 and 29 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. Your browser will notify you if there is a new version available.
- Required Components: Flash, Java plug-in
- Media Player: Windows Media Player 11. If a MAC user, download current version of Flip4Mac
- Soundcard and speakers and / or headphones
- Display: CRT or LCD, 15" or larger; resolution should be 600 X 800 pixels or higher.
- Current version of Adobe Reader
For internet access a "broadband" connection is highly recommended; a "dial-up" connection is really too slow and will quickly frustrate the user.
Broadband is defined as:
- Upload transfer rate of at least 1.0 megabits/second (or higher), and
- Download rate of 2.0 - 4.0 megabits/second (or higher)
Typical DLS, ADSL, and Cable TV Internet connection easily meet these requirements.
Head-set, microphone, and webcam
Some of your courses, will require web conferencing or some form of online video interaction.
If you are enrolled in a LIVE classroom, you will be required to have a microphone headset.
We encourage the use of a USB headset with built-in microphone as pictured here.
If your computer does not have a built in webcam, you will need an external webcam to use. We recommend a USB webcam to attach to your computer.